This instant pot enchilada soup is a hearty and delicious Mexican themed soup bursting with flavor and texture. It’s so easy to make, and will be such a hit! Filling enough to be a stand alone meal this is definitely one you want to try.
Why should you make this soup?
It’s such an easy recipe. Everything gets thrown into the instant pot, with barely any prep, and cooked.
The mixture of black beans and corn, veggies and chicken breasts make this a filling soup that’s easily enjoyed as an entree.
Kid will love this! The soup itself is family friendly and quite mild, but I’ll include ingredient substitutions to make this even milder.
The recipe is adapted from Six Sister’s Stuff, and they have great recipes. Always easy and approachable!
Ingredients you need:
Canned black beans- rinse and drain these
Canned corn- don’t drain this can
Onion and garlic
Carrots: I subbed these instead of the red bell pepper used in the original recipe because I had some on hand and my kids love them!
Chili powder: I halved the amount from the original recipe to make sure it wasn’t too intense for my little ones, and you could reduce it even further to 1/4 tsp, or omit altogether and replace with paprika powder.;
Worcestershire sauce and green Tabasco sauce: You can also use sriracha sauce but I like the little tangy kick that green Tabasco gives. Again, not so much that it’ll make this too spicy.
Canned Enchilada Sauce: I went for mild
Stock cube and water: or sub with 4 cups of chicken stock
Then after cooking, add the ingredients that’ll give this creaminess. Cooking cream or heavy cream, sour cream, and cheddar cheese. I actually added half the amount of cheese that the original recipe called for, because I didn’t want it to be too rich or heavy and I was happy with the amount. You can definitely add more!
How to make instant pot enchilada soup:
The steps are simple! Basically add all the ingredients to your instant pot.
Make sure that the valve is set to the sealing position, cover with lid and close, and set cooking time to High pressure for 15 minutes.
The pot will take some time to come to pressure, then will begin to count down from 15 minutes of cooking time. Once the cook time is over, wait 5 minutes then force release the remaining pressure.
Open the lid of the instant pot and use a fork to shred the chicken breasts. They’ll bes o tender that they’ll shred very easily. Stir in the cream, sour cream, and cheddar cheese. Stir until cheese has melted, this won’t take long at all.
What to garnish the soup with:
I love adding little crispy tortilla strips to the top, but if you can’t find any, add some tortilla chips. They add a big crunch and yum factor.
This would be great with an extra dollop of sour cream, and maybe some sliced avocados on top.
A little chopped coriander gives some color and earthy herby flavor to the soup.
Storing leftover chicken enchilada soup:
Leftover soup will last tightly covered in the fridge for 3 days. This will also freeze very well.
I have heard mixed reviews about freezing soups that have cream in them, as the cream might separate in the freezer, so if making soup to intentionally freeze, it might be best to freeze before adding the sour cream, cream and cheddar cheese. Freeze tightly covered for up to 3 months, then defrost overnight and once heating up the next day add the creams and cheese.
If you liked this recipe, you might like these other soup recipes:
Or these Instant Pot recipes:
Some curry dishes:
some Asian inspired dishes:
Beef and Broccoli Instant Pot Noodles
and Middle Eastern!
Instant Pot Enchilada Soup
- Instant Pot
- 3-4 chicken breasts 1 lb or 450 g total
- 1 can black beans, drained 14.5 oz or 400 g
- 1 can corn kernels, don't drain 14.5 oz or 400 g
- 1 onion, finely chopped or grated
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1-2 carrots, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1-2 teaspoon green tabasco or sriracha sauce
- 1 can enchilada sauce 10 oz or 285 g
- 1 stock cube, chicken or veggie
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 cup heavy or cooking cream
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese 8 oz or 200 g
- To the instant pot, add the chicken breasts, the drained black beans, can of corn (without draining), onion, garlic, and carrots.
- Add the enchilada sauce, chilli powder, Worcestershire, the tabasco, the stock cube, and the water. Cover instant pot, making sure the valve is set to seal and turn it on high pressure for 15 minutes.
- Once cooking time is over, wait 5 minutes, then quickly release the pressure. Open the lid, and use two fork to shred the chicken breasts. They should shred very easily.
- Stir in the heavy cream, sour cream, and cheese. Keep stirring until the cheese melts.
- Serve with crispy tortilla strips and coriander if desired and enjoy immediately.
Instant Pot Chicken Enchilada Soup by everylittlecrumb on Jumprope.
The cook time says 4 hours 20 minutes. This can’t be right.
Farah Abumaizar says
And it isn’t hehe! Thanks for letting me know, corrected it ☺️