An incredibly easy and hearty soup, oat soup is made with a spiced light tomato broth, with cooked oats in it. It’s a classic in the Gulf region of the Middle East and I fell in love with this recipe- you will too!
What is oat soup?
This soup is a version of tomato oat soup, شوربة الشوفان Arabic style. Some versions use fresh tomatoes, but we made this even easier with tomato paste. I’m pretty sure it’ll be one of the easiest soups you could make!
Why put oats in soup?
I was confused to until I tried this for the first time. The oats plump up in the broth and become almost like a mix of pasta/bread. It sounds weird, but basically they make a really hearty carb in the soup base. There isn’t too much oats in this, so you get little spoonfuls while you eat. Healthy, easy (the oats cook so fast) and delicious!
Is oat soup vegetarian?
The version I made isn’t strictly vegetarian. Although a lot of people choose to add shredded chicken to the soup, I didn’t feel like I needed it. This is more true because I was serving it with a chicken main dish. I did however use a chicken stock cube, but you can easily turn this into a vegetarian option by using a veggie stock cube.
Ingredients in the soup:
Oats: quick cooking.
Tomato paste: Our easy painless sub to using fresh tomatoes. Add as little or as much as you like depending on how deep a tomato flavor you like. I like my tomato pretty intense, so I used 1/2 of a small carton.
Onion/garlic: Diced finely, because this is a soup that you won’t immersion blend.
Spices: I added a mix of turmeric, cumin, cinnamon, cardamom, salt and pepper for exotic flavors. You can omit anything you don’t have or don’t like.
Bouillon cube: chicken or vegetable
Water: I started with 3 cups and ended up adding a 4th cup after the oats had cooked and the soup thickened. You can keep the soup as thick or as thin as you like.
How to make the soup:
We start with frying the tomato paste, onion, and garlic until softened and fragrant. The spices go in, and get briefly cooked before we add the water and oats. We bring the whole mix to a boil, then reduce to a steady simmer. until the oats have cooked through. That’s it!
Storing leftover شوربة شوفان soup:
Soup will last in the fridge for 3-4 days tightly covered. It’ll thicken up a little as the oats soak up more liquid, so just thin it out with a little additional water while you gently reheat in microwave or stove top.
Oat Soup- شوربة الشوفان
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1-2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2-3 tablespoon tomato paste start with 2, add more as needed once the water is in
- 3-4 cups water
- 1 stock cube, chicken or vegetable
- 1/2 cup quick cooking oats
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2-1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- pinch of cinnamon
- 2 cardamom pods, optional
- Heat the olive oil on medium heat in a saucepan. Once hot, add the onion, garlic, and tomato paste, and stir for 5-6 minutes until onions have softened.
- Add all the spices, and stir to combine, 30 seconds or so until fragrant.
- Add the water, and the stock cube and let it come to a boil. Add the oats, and let them cook for 15 minutes or so until softened. Once the oats have cooked through, the soup will thicken, so add another cup of water if you need it.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
If you liked this recipe, you might like: