There are some recipes that just warm you up to the bone. Especially when said recipes are full of spices like turmeric, cinnamon and curry and served piping hot. I found this recipe on my suggested post Instagram feed, and immediately followed the author, Hannah Chia. Beautiful pictures, feel good food. I’m usually pretty picky with what I make especially if I don’t know the source, but this easily passed my screening. A coconut milk based curry with pumpkin, sweet potato, chickpeas and tomatoes. The perfect combination of herbs. Vegan, gluten free, absolutely healthy. It would be very hard to get this wrong. Especially, ESPECIALLY when you go all in and make homemade naan to go alongside this. I’ll be posting the naan recipe next so stay tuned! This was absolutely delicious, you will not miss the meat, and it’ll fill you up and stick to your ribs and make eating healthy the most indulgent experience. Enjoy this! My husband had three bowls.
Changes I made:
I followed the recipe pretty precisely, but for those interested, I made the following changes. First, was to add cumin seeds and cinnamon powder for what I felt would be a deeper flavor. Another was reducing the sugar just slightly in the sauce, because I felt the sweet notes from the potato and pumpkin would be enough. I also reduced the curry powder just slightly from the original recipe because I was scared it would be overwhelming. I chose to use water because I was too lazy to make vegetable broth. I’m sure the original recipe is fantastic as it is, but I can only attest to the one I made with these subtle changes and it was a big hit.
Pumpkin Sweet Potato Curry
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1 inch sized ginger piece, minced
- 1.5 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 medium carrots, chopped into small cubes
- 1 sweet potato, chopped into small cubes
- 2-3 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 can pumpkin puree 15 oz, 400 g
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed 15 oz, 400 g
- 1 can coconut milk 13.5 oz, 380 g
- 1 1/4 cup water or vegetable broth
- 1 heaped teaspoon coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 big handfuls baby spinach leaves
- 1 lime or lemon juiced
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Once hot, add the onions and cook for 3-4 minutes until softened and translucent. Add the minced garlic, ginger, spices including cumin seeds and sauté for two more minutes.
- Stir in the carrots, sweet potato, tomatoes, pumpkin puree, chickpeas, coconut milk, coconut sugar, salt and water or broth and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Cook for 20-30 minutes until sweet potatoes and carrots are tender. Turn off heat and add in spinach, and stir till it wilts. Add the juice of the lime or lemon.
- Serve with fluffy basmati rice, or to go above and beyond, homemade naan. Enjoy!