This apple yogurt cake is lightly sweetened, has a brown sugar cinnamon swirl, and is made with no mixer in a handful of minutes. An apple olive oil cake is the perfect thing to welcome autumn with! This is moist and squidgy, and beautifully scented with cinnamon. Perfect for breakfast or light dessert.
What’s so good about this apple olive oil cake?
- You don’t need a mixer to make it! You can combine everything in one large bowl.
- It’s super easy to make, and uses a handful of ingredients.
- Only 1/2 cup of sugar is in the actual cake base, which is enhanced with cinnamon sugar swirls. It isn’t too sweet at all. Great to enjoy for breakfast.
- The combination of yogurt and olive oil in this apple cake gives so much moistness. It almost tastes like a bread pudding with juicy chunks of apple. It has a really unique texture.
- Making a apple snack cake in a square pan means it bakes faster, and is simpler to make than a layer cake or bundt cake.
Ingredients you need for apple yogurt cake:
Yogurt: Use plain, whole milk yogurt. You could also substitute Greek yogurt, or even sour cream if you want to.
Sugar: White granulated sugar for the cake base, and brown sugar for the cinnamon swirl. You can use light or dark brown sugar.
Olive oil: Making an apple olive oil cake really enhances the moistness, and the flavor of the olive oil compliments the apples very well.
Milk: Whole, full fat milk, at room temperature.
Eggs: Room temperature
Apples: I used a green apple and a red apple because that’s what I had! I’d give the slight edge to using green apples because they give a really nice contrasting tanginess.
Flour: Regular all purpose flour
Baking powder, baking soda, salt: for leavening and flavor
Cinnamon: Some cinnamon in the batter, and some in the brown sugar swirl. Cinnamon is a must in apple cakes!
Steps to make apple olive oil cake:
- Get the oven ready by preheating to 350F (180C), and prepare your pan by lightly greasing or lining with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together yogurt, sugar, milk, olive oil, eggs and vanilla, then add the apple cubes and fold with a spatula until combined.
- Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt and fold until just combined. Pour half the batter in the prepared pan.
- In a separate small bowl, mix together melted butter, brown sugar and cinnamon for the swirl. Sprinkle half of this over the batter in the pan.
- Add the remaining half of batter and smooth with spatula. Sprinkle the remaining brown sugar swirl over the top.
- Bake for 30-35 min or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
What to serve this cake with:
This apple cake is delicious plain. You can also elevate it with a simple dusting of powdered sugar or a glaze, drizzle of salted caramel, or scoop of vanilla ice cream. I like eating it warm, with a little bit of butter, and some honey drizzled on top.
Leftovers will last in an airtight container in the fridge for 4-5 days. You can also portion into slices and freeze slices for up to 3 months. Individual slices will thaw very quickly, and then you can enjoy them on the go.
Expert tips and tricks:
- Once you add the flour to the wet ingredients, stir gently. Don’t mix too much or you risk over developing the gluten leading to a tough cake.
- Cut apples into relatively even sized cubes, so that they end up cooking to the same texture.
- Test for doneness- if a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, your cake is ready. Cool completely before cutting into slices.
Apple yogurt cake FAQs:
Yes, plain or Greek yogurt will both work well in the cake. Just make sure you are using full fat, whole yogurt.
Although I haven’t tried, a gluten free flour blend in place of the regular flour should work fine.
I like Granny Smith Apples the most, but Honeycrisp work great too. Any firm apple will work out well, the darker the skin the sweeter the apple cubes will be.
For more great apple recipes:
Love this recipe? Please leave a 5-star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟rating in the recipe card and a comment!
Apple Yogurt Cake
For the cake:
- 3/4 cup plain yogurt 170g
- 1/2 cup sugar 100g
- 1/3 cup olive oil 65g
- 1/4 cup milk 55g
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 apples, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes 300g
- 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour 160g
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For the cinnamon sugar swirl:
- 2 tablespoon butter, melted 28g
- 1/3 cup brown sugar (light or dark) 65g
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C), and thoroughly grease an 8×8 square pan or line with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together yogurt, sugar, milk, olive oil, eggs and vanilla.
- Add the apple cubes and fold to combine. Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt and fold until just combined.
- Pour half the batter in the prepared pan. In a separate small bowl, mix together melted butter, brown sugar and cinnamon for the swirl. Sprinkle half of this over the batter in the pan.
- Add the remaining half of batter and smooth with a spatula. Sprinkle the remaining brown sugar swirl over the top.
- Bake for 30-35 min or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. I like eating this warm!