An easy one pot dish with cauliflower rice and shredded chicken cooked with chicken broth, some sautéed kale and diced tomato. Served with a sriracha yogurt, this gives you all that good flavor in a crazy healthy and delicious package.
This recipe is another one from the husband hall of wonder. I came home from work on a day that he had taken off, starving and ready to binge on junk food. He stopped me in my tracks by presenting me with a bowl of this comfort food. It was delicious! The cauliflower rice itself was so flavorful, with little bits of chicken and veggies and a zingy srirarcha yogurt sauce. I pinned him down then and there and forced him to retake all the steps he made in the kitchen. My husbands usually a cook on the fly kind of guy, but he miraculously had noted all his steps this time, luckily for all of us!
One Pot Chicken and Cauliflower Rice- the breakdown:
The main components of this dish are chicken, chicken broth, cauliflower rice, veggies, and spice. When you are avoiding carbs, but still want a hearty supplement to a dish, cauliflower rice is a great way to go.
How do I rice cauliflower?
The basic concept is you need to break the cauliflower florets down into little rice sized bits. You first need to break your head of cauliflower down into normal sized florets by cutting it down the middle with a sharp knife, and further cutting it when necessary. Then, to further blitz it into the size of rice grains, there are a few ways to do this:
A food processor fitted with the grater attachment: pulse until you get the cauliflower riced.
A box grater on the medium sized holes: Requires more effort, but will work just as well.
And we used this handheld vegetable chopper that my husband loves. He uses it for everything- saves his sanity when dicing onions.
The chicken and chicken broth:
We almost always have frozen chicken broth portioned off in the freezer, as well as the shredded cooked chicken we get from preparing the broth (follow this great recipe here ) and that’s what we used in this recipe. You can also use pre cooked chicken like rotisserie chicken, or boil 2 chicken breasts like so:
Add whole chicken breasts to a pot, and cover with enough water or chicken stock (you can use bouillon cubes to cover the chicken. Bring the pot to medium high heat until it comes to a boil, then cover the pot and reduce the heat to medium. Cook chicken for 15-20 minutes or until completely cooked through, then remove from the liquid, strain the liquid and use that in place of the chicken broth in this recipe.
Can I use other veggies in place of the kale and tomatoes?
Definitely. Just sauté them in the olive oil until cooked through before adding the cauliflower and broth to the pot.
Can I make this with regular rice?
Of course! You can also try couscous or quinoa.
Can I substitute any other spices?
Go wild! Adjust any seasoning to your taste. Try a spoon and add more or less of anything you need accordingly. You can also serve this with regular yogurt if you want to avoid any spiciness, or just a side salad.
One Pot Cauliflower Rice with Chicken
- 1 large head of cauliflower
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- handful kale, shredded
- 1 tomato, finely diced
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup shredded chicken, or 2 chicken breasts
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- pinch of red pepper flakes
For the yogurt srirarcha:
- 1 cup yogurt
- 2 tbsp srirarcha sauce
- Wash and dry the cauliflower, then turn it into rice by one of several ways. First cut the cauliflower right down the middle so it breaks up into florets, then mince the florets by either grating in the medium sized hole part of a box grater, using a grater attachment in the food processor, or using a manual vegetable chopper and blitzing a handful of florets at a time.
- Once your cauliflower is minced, remove excess moisture by patting it thoroughly with paper towels, and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat, then sauté the onion and minced garlic until just softened.
- Add the kale, and sauté until wilted, then add in the diced tomato and stir for a couple minutes until tomato releases a little juice. Add in the riced cauliflower and stir for a minute or so until mixed well.
- Add the chicken broth and cooked shredded chicken, and cover and cook for 5-8 minutes, then remove lid and let it cook for another 5 minutes or so until liquid has completely evaporated.
To make the srirarcha yogurt:
- Simply mix together the yogurt and srirarcha sauce until well combined, and serve with chicken cauliflower rice by drizzling on top.
If you liked this recipe, you might like: