Cold, uninspired days just scream for a cassserole. The appeal in casseroles lies in how easy they are to throw together. They usually taste even better the next day, and you probably have all the ingredients in your fridge and pantry. You don’t need to think twice, and there’s very little risk using such familiar and simple ingredients. This hearty dish gives new meaning to one pot wonder. A recipe for a lighter cheesy chicken pasta that is incredibly easy. You basically dump the uncooked pasta, raw chicken, milk and cheese, and broccoli in a baking dish and bake until done. Dinner on the table with minimal effort, exactly what I need. Additionally, this is a big hit with adults and kids both.
Raw chicken and pasta going straight in the oven worried me a little, but everything came together just as the recipe promised it would. The sauce thickened into a creamy cheesy delight, the chicken and pasta cooked through perfectly. Try this on those busy/no energy day! There are days for elaborate home cooked Middle Eastern food like my husbands favorite, and there are are days for getting in and out of the kitchen in 30 minutes flat.
I tried to make this a little healthier by using whole wheat pasta and lots of broccoli. I had the butcher clean and chop the chicken breast pieces for me so this was even easier to prepare. Plenty of cheese too, and I used cheddar and mozzarella for maximum cheese factor. This is easily customized to your taste preferences. Hope you enjoy this recipe! The easiest chicken broccoli pasta bake is adapted from Recipe Tin Eats.
Easiest Chicken Broccoli Pasta Bake
- 350 g chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
- salt and pepper
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp dried basil
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 250 g pasta of your choice, I used bowtie
- 1 1/2 cup chicken broth 375ml
- 2 cups milk 500ml
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1-2 tbsp butter
- 1 medium head broccoli, cut into bite sized florets
- 100-150 g shredded cheese (I mixed mozzarella and cheddar)
- Preheat oven to 200 C (390 F)
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper and herbs and toss to coat.
- Whisk together the milk and flour.
- Layer pasta in a baking dish, Pour over the milk mixture and the broth. Add the garlic and butter. Stir.
- Spread the chicken on top, then the broccoli. Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove foil, and stir well. Add most of the cheese, and stir again. Top with remaining cheese.
- Return to oven and cook until chicken is cooked through, sauce is thickened and bubbling and cheese is golden brown, about another 15-20 minutes.
- Let it stand a few minutes then serve whiel still warm. Enjoy!