An easy throw together vegan slow cooker curry that delivers on ease, flavor, nutrition and all around deliciousness. Sweet potatoes, chickpeas and cauliflower make this a hearty and filling dish you’ll want to make over and over again!
I like a good vegetarian curry. One of my favorite vegetarian curries has pumpkin in it and is the perfect warming dish. This time, I had cauliflower just lounging around in my fridge thus this delicious vegan curry was born.
Ingredients of vegan cauliflower curry:
Aromatics: onion, garlic and ginger sauteed in olive oil.
Sweet potatoes, cauliflower, and chickpeas: hearty, full of fiber and texture. All very filling!
Coconut Milk: for non-dairy creaminess
Spices: keeping it basic with curry powder, turmeric powder and cumin powder, plus salt and pepper to taste.
Diced tomatoes, canned with their juice.
plus extra water to cover the vegetables in the slow cooker. You can also use vegetable broth, but I didn’t have any and this tasted delicious with plain old water.
How to make an easy vegan curry:
There’s few things I like more than when a recipe instructions amount to “throw everything in the slow cooker and turn it on”, so that’s more or less where I’m going here.
First: Saute the onion in olive oil until soft, then add the spices, garlic and ginger and saute for a further minute until spices are fragrant.
Second: Add this onion spice mix to your slow cooker, then add all the vegetables.
Third: Add your liquid (Diced tomatoes, coconut milk, vegetable broth or water)
Turn on slow cooker and cook for 4 to 4.5 hours or until cauliflower and sweet potato are as tender as you like them.
Can I make the curry without a slow cooker:
Yes, you absolutely can!
Make the following alterations to the recipe steps:
- Saute the onion in a large pot, and after onions have softened, add the sweet potato and cauliflower to the pot and stir for 5 minutes until browned.
- Add the ginger, garlic and spices and cook for a further 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Add all the remaining ingredients (salt, chickpeas, diced tomatoes, coconut milk, and 1 cup of vegetable broth or water), bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
What to serve with vegetarian curry?
Rice! I like to use brown rice, to keep this really clean and healthy, but you can also serve it with white rice, or couscous. This would be amazing paired with easy homemade naan bread.
How long can I store vegan cauliflower curry?
This will keep tightly covered in the fridge for 3-4 months, or up to 3 months in the freezer. This would be great to freeze as individual portions for a ready and convenient lunch or dinner. Thaw in fridge or microwave and enjoy.
- Slow Cooker
- 2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 heaped tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 3 cloves crushed garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3 sweet potatoes, chopped
- 1 small head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 can diced tomatoes 14 oz (400g)
- 1 can coconut milk 14 oz (400g)
- 2 cups water or vegetable broth
- Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium high heat. Add the onion and sautee until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the curry powder, turmeric, cumin, ginger, and garlic and cook for about 1 minute.
- Remove the onions form the heat and scrape them and all the spices into the slow cooker. Add the salt, chickpeas, sweet potatoes, cauliflower, diced tomatoes, coconut milk, and enough water or broth to just cover vegetables, cover and cook on high for 4-4.5 hours, until vegetables are tender enough for your liking.
- Taste and season with extra salt and pepper if desired, and serve with rice and/or naan bread.
If you liked this recipe, you might like: