The easiest recipe for air fryer sweet potato cubes, with just a handful of ingredients and great flavor and texture. How to get roasted sweet potatoes in an air fryer, the simplest way to enjoy a staple side dish.
- Why use an air fryer to roast sweet potato chunks?
- Ingredients you need for this recipe:
- How to cut sweet potato cubes for the air fryer:
- How to make air fryer roasted sweet potatoes:
- What to serve air fryer sweet potatoes with:
- Storing leftover sweet potato cubes:
- How to reheat sweet potatoes:
- Recipe tips and tricks:
- Recipe FAQs:
- For more air fryer recipes:
- Air Fryer Sweet Potato Cubes
Why use an air fryer to roast sweet potato chunks?
An air fryer gets you crispy on the outside, soft on the inside flavorful sweet potato cubes within a matter of minutes.
You won’t need to worry about heating up a big oven, or pre-heating for that manner. Just pop the potatoes in the air fryer basket, turn it on, and you’re good to go.
It’s a great way to use barely any oil and still roast the potatoes beautifully. The high heat of the air fryer will make sure that the cubes roast well regardless.
Ingredients you need for this recipe:
Sweet potatoes: I like using the orange ones (not the white ones) for that vibrant color and sweeter flavor.
Olive oil: alternately you can use coconut oil or avocado oil. You just need a little!
Spices and seasoning: salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika powder and cinnamon. I love air fryer sweet potato cubes with cinnamon, it’s such a natural pairing.
How to cut sweet potato cubes for the air fryer:
Use a sharp knife! Sweet potatoes can be tricky to cut. Cut off the knobby ends of the sweet potatoes. Slice each sweet potato in 1/2 inch thick pieces (you’ll get 3 or 4).
Place each slice flat on the cutting board so that they aren’t wobbling around. Dice into 1/2 by 1/2 inch cubes.
How to make air fryer roasted sweet potatoes:
- Toss the sweet potato cubes with all the ingredients, from the oil to the spices. Mix to thoroughly coat.
- Air fry at 390F for 15 minutes, tossing the cubes by shaking the basket every 5 minutes.
- The roasted sweet potato cubes are done when they are fork tender but crispy on the outside.
What to serve air fryer sweet potatoes with:
These work as a great side dish to so many dishes. Roast chicken, lamb, salmon, steaks, you name it. They make a great side dish to eggs too.
For a great dipping sauce for these sweet potatoes, try out this tahini sauce.
Storing leftover sweet potato cubes:
Leftover air fryer sweet potato cubes will last in the fridge in a tightly covered container for up to 5 days.
You can also freeze roasted sweet potato cubes. First, place them in a single layer on a baking sheet in the freezer for 20 minutes, then transfer to a large freezer safe bag that you close tightly. This will make sure the cubes don’t stick together in the freezer.
How to reheat sweet potatoes:
You can microwave these (but they will soften), bake them in a 400F (205C) oven for 5-10 minutes, or my favorite way, reheat them in the air fryer. Just stick them in the air fryer basket at 390F (200C) for a few minutes until warmed through. So easy!
Recipe tips and tricks:
- You can dice the sweet potatoes the day before roasting, just keep them submerged in a bowl of cold water in the fridge to avoid discoloration.
- Play around with the spices- add whatever you want! Chili powder and cumin powder could be a great addition. You can make these sweeter by tossing with a little brown sugar. You can also serve garnished with fresh rosemary or thyme after cooking.
- For maximum crispiness, don’t overcrowd the air fryer basket. You should be able to comfortably fit in all the cubes, but if you find yourself with the cubes overlapping in the basket, air fry in batches.
Yes! These are actually ninja foodi sweet potatoes, made in my own ninja air fryer. Use any air fryer you have!
You absolutely can! My kids prefer this with the peel off, but as long as you scrub them thoroughly you can opt opt to keep these skin on.
This will depend a little on the size of your sweet potato chunks, but a good rule of thumb is 15 minutes at 390F, shaking the basket every 5 minutes and keeping an eye on them to make sure they don’t overcook!
For more air fryer recipes:
Air Fryer Sweet Potato Cubes
- Air Fryer
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- pinch black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- Place the sweet potato cubes in a large bowl. Add all the remaining ingredients and toss to thoroughly combine.
- Place the cubes in the bakset of the air fryer, and cook at 390 F. Air fry for 15 minutes, shaking the basket every 5 minutes. The potato cubes should be golden brown and caramelized on the edges, and fork tender in the center.
- Enjoy straight away while still warm and crispy!
Leave a Reply