The ultimate in ease, lazy cake is a delicious chocolate biscuit cake made with only four ingredients and with 5 minutes of effort. It’s cold and chocolatey and crunchy and delicious, absolutely addictive!
What makes lazy cake so good?
First of all, it lives up to its name. It’s unbelievably easy, perfect for lazy days. All you need to do is stir together a few ingredients and chill!
It’s comforting. It reminds me so much of my childhood summers in Jordan ( I feel like it’s a very common thing in the Middle East). A hot summer day meant that a cold slice of chocolate biscuit cake would be so refreshing.
Anyone can do it! You don’t need an oven or a mixer or any equipment at all. My dad loves sweets but has no inclination to bake whatsoever, and this has become his go to dessert to make.
It’s kid friendly, fun to make with kids since they can do everything once the butter is melted, and they love eating it. Makes for a great lunchtime snack, especially because you can cut it as small as you like for portion control.
It’s also so customizable. Feel free to mix up the biscuit choice, add nuts or dried cranberries, shredded coconut or any mix in you like. I think crushed Whoppers or Maltesers would be so good!
What ingredients do you need?
Melted unsalted butter
Cocoa Powder– natural and Dutch processed both work
Sweetened Condensed Milk– Just like I tend to, I use a lot less than most recipes. I find a 1/2 can to be sufficient (7oz total) for just enough sweetness that still lets that deep chocolate flavor come through. Taste your mix before adding the biscuits, and if this isn’t sweet enough for you, feel free to drizzle in enough sweetened condensed milk to give you the sweetness you like.
Tip: have half a can of sweetened condensed milk left over? Trust me, THIS is the recipe for you to use it up with.
Biscuits: Traditionally in the Middle East, we use tea biscuits. I used Marie biscuits which look like this. You can absolutely use Digestive biscuits, graham crackers, or any other biscuit you like!
How to make lazy cake:
You just need to stir together the melted butter, cocoa powder and condensed milk until a smooth chocolate sauce forms. It’ll be the texgture of ganache.
Next, add your biscuits chunks and fold to combine. Don’t crush the biscuits too finely, you just want to roughly chop them so you get large chunks throughout.
Freeze this mixture, either in a prepared loaf pan, or by dumping it in a cylinder shape on a sheet of aluminum foil, then wrapping up the aluminum foil into a thick sausage shape and freezing.
Once frozen, cut into slices and enjoy. You can even go the extra mile and make some chocolate ganache to smooth on top to get an even top, but I’ve never found this necessary.
Lazy cake is also known as chocolate biscuit cake, and as mentioned above there’s so many variations you can make.
Try adding a scoop of Nutella to the chocolate for Nutella lazy cake.
Mix in your favorite nuts or dried fruit.
Try adding mini marshmallows for a rocky road take.
Add a mix of biscuits, or chopped up candy bar pieces.
Storing leftover lazy cake:
Store leftover slices in the freezer, and let a slice thaw for just a couple min before enjoying! They won’t last long at all- truly addictive!
- 2 packs Marie biscuits (36 pieces), or digestive biscuits or graham crackers total 6 oz (180g)
- 1/2 cup butter, melted 100 g, 1 stick
- 6 tbsp cocoa power, natural or dutch processed
- 1/2 of a 14oz can sweetened condensed milk total used is 200 g or 7 oz sweetened condensed milk
- Break the biscuits into large chunks and set aside. If making the lazy cake in a loaf pan, lightly grease a loaf pan and line with parchment paper. (Alternately, you can roll the lazy cake up in aluminum foil to make a salami type shape)
- In a large bowl, mix together the melted butter, cocoa powder and condensed milk until smooth and combined. Add the biscuit pieces and fold to combine.
- Place the biscuit and chocolate mixture into the prepared loaf pan and freeze for 2-3 hours until set. Or, place the mixture on a sheet of foil and squeeze into a log/cylindrical shape and freeze.
- Once firm, slice and enjoy. Store any extra slices in the freezer and enjoy anytime!
Lazy Cake by everylittlecrumb on Jumprope.