These 3 ingredient easy cream cheese puff pastry bites are ADDICTIVE. They are golden brown and flaky and stuffed with cream cheese that melts in your mouth. Ideally served sprinkled with icing sugar or drizzled in honey.
These are the my mother in laws signature thing. She makes them every Ramadan and serves them right before our dinner. We gobble them up like popcorn! The idea is genius- little triangles of kiri cheese wrapped in puff pastry squares, brushed with an egg wash and baked till golden brown and crispy. The interior softens in the oven, so you bite into a crisp shell of pastry into a soft, yielding, creamy interior.
You basically need three. That’s all!
The dough: Puff pastry squares that you’ve thawed in the fridge until soft and pliable.
The filling: We use kiri cream cheese squares. They are similar in flavour to Philadelphia cream cheese, but firmer, so it makes it easier to wrap the dough around them. They come in squares, and are packaged like this:
There is a spreadable tub form, but you want the square version as pictured above.
Substitutes: You can use Philadelphia cream cheese, but not the tub, the individually wrapped bars. Make sure it’s cold and firm before cutting it up to make it easier to handle. You can also use laughing cow cheese triangles!
The butter: Melted butter brushed on the outside of the puff pastry dough before baking will give it a beautiful golden brown color. An egg wash can also be used, but butter will give you a slightly richer color.
How to make the cream cheese bites:
Take a sheet of puff pastry dough and cut it into four squares. Take each kiri cheese square, and cut that into quarters too. Place each cheese cube into a puff pastry square, and fold the puff pastry over diagonally, so you get a little triangle. Crimp the edges of the pastry with a fork to seal it shut, and place on a parchment lined baking paper. Keep going, till you’ve assembled all your bites.
Once all puff pastry bites are assembled and ready, you brush them with the melted butter so that when they bake they get a nice deep golden brown color.
Bake and enjoy warm!
How to serve Cream Cheese Puff Pastry Bites:
We like the contrast of the savory cream cheese with a hint of sweetness. We always drizzle them with honey, or dust with icing sugar, or even better, do both! They pair perfectly with a hot cup of coffee or tea, and make such a good snack.
Alternately, you can drizzle them with maple syrup, sweetened condensed milk, or golden syrup. These would be gorgeous dusted with pistachio powder!
You can keep these plain, or sprinkle some Zaatar over the cheese cubes before assembling for a great savory rendition.
Cream Cheese Puff Pastry Bites
- 12 puff pastry square sheets, thawed
- 12 kiri cream cheese squares
- 3 tablespoon butter, melted
- honey and/or icing sugar to serve
- Preheat oven to 200 C (400 F).
- Cut the puff pastry squares into 4 equal sized squares (See blog post for process shots) Cut each kiri cream cheese squares into 4 small squares.
- Place one cut cream cheese square into a cut puff pastry square. Fold one corner to an opposite corner, making a little mini triangle. Use a fork, and crimp the edges to seal.
- Continue until you've filled all the dough squares. Assemble onto a parchment paper lined or non stick baking sheet, and brush with melted butter. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until pastry is deep golden brown.
- Enjoy warm, drizzled with honey or sprinkled with icing sugar, or ideally both!
If you liked this recipe, you might like: