Using an air fryer gives you super crispy and indulgent tasting sweet potato fries that take 15 minutes start to finish and are completely healthy! We loved these and how no fuss they were.
Why use an air fryer?
I asked myself the same question for years before finally buckling and buying an air fryer. I only got mine because I found one at a great price. The one I got is the Philips Turbostar air fryer. I kept hearing how great air fryers are especially great for making things for kids like breaded chicken, fries, salmon etc.
The way an air fryer works is through using a very high heat circulating in a small space. This ensures you don’t need a lot of oil in order tot get food crispy, and also that it gets done in a fraction of the time. That was my favorite part of this recipe, that it was so easy with just one appliance used for 10 minutes to give crispy sweet potato fries.
Btw, I have still not been able to master getting sweet potato fries crispy in the oven so this recipe was a lifesaver for me!
How to make air fryer sweet potato fries
Make sure you preheat the air fryer for at least 5 minutes to really get the heat to where you need it.
Cut the sweet potatoes into even fries- as similar in size as you can to ensure they get cooked evenly.
Toss the fries with just a little oil and seasoning of your choice. You should use oils that have a high smoke point (suitable for cooking at a high temperature) like canola, corn, regular olive oil (not extra virgin), peanut, or avocado oil.
For seasoning, I always add a little cinnamon when I use sweet potatoes, but that’s optional. You can stick to salt, pepper and paprika. Adjust seasoning as desired!
Fry for 10 minutes, tossing halfway through. If using the standard sized air fryer like I did, fry in batches- about 1 sweet potato can fit in the fryer basket at once. If you overcrowd, they won’t get crispy and won’t cook evenly.
Serve sprinkled with some coarse salt and with a side of ketchup, srirarcha mayo, or truffle mayo and enjoy!
Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries
- Air Fryer
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into fries (1/2 inch thick)
- 2 teaspoon olive oil or canola oil
- 1/2-1 teaspoon salt
- pinch black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 tsp (a pinch) cinnamon
- Heat the air fryer to 200 C (400F)
- In a large bowl, toss sweet potatoes with the oil, and all the spices. Mix well with your hands until potatoes are evenly coated.
- Place half the sweet potato fries in the fryer basket of air fryer, and cook for 10 minutes. 5 minutes into cooking, pull out the basket, and toss fries around a little. Repeat with second batch of fries.
- Enjoy hot and season with additional salt and pepper if desired.
If you liked this recipe, you might like: