I was challenged to find a recipe for pancakes using carbonated water and was blown away by how tender and light they were. I’m not one to resist a recipe challenge so I scoured the internet. I ended up at one of my most trusted sources, Epicurious. The pancakes come together in a flash, and the combination of buttermilk and sparkling water yields the most tender, melt in your mouth texture. I’ll make these again and again! (Don’t expect thick and fluffy. Expect thinner, soft as air pancakes. You won’t miss the height trust me!)
The bubbles in the sparkling water gives these their soft lift, which is why you should keep the sparkling water closed until right before using. We need to trap those gas bubbles to use them here! These are diner style, buttery and light, and delicious topped with blueberries and pure maple syrup. I spy a chocolate chip version of this in my near future! I hope you try these and like them as much as we did.
Sparkling Water Pancakes
- 2 cup flour
- 3 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 cup buttermilk To make one cup of buttermilk, place 1 tablespoon vinegar or lemon juice in a measuring cup, then top off the remainder with milk. Mix and leave 5 minutes until curdled
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoon melted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup cold carbonated water keep closed until using so it doesn’t go flat
- Whisk together all your dry ingredients and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together wet ingredients until well combined, then pour into dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Heat a non-stick griddle or skillet over medium heat, and melt a little butter on it or spray some non-stick spray.
- When pan is hot, pour some batter on top (1/4-1/2 cup depending how big you like your pancakes), and cook until bubbles form on the surface of the batter and underside is golden brown, around 2-3 minutes. Flip and repeat on the other side.
Julie Olsen says
Sooo yummy! This recipe as is was so amazing! Definitely keeping it for always!
Farah Abumaizar says
So glad to hear that thanks so much for your comment Julie!
Food & Beyond bh says
I love it!! Amazing texture and taste.
Farah Abumaizar says
Your approval means everything!
So fluffy and soft. REally liked these
So glad you enjoyed the recipe !