Perfectly cooked, crispy on the outside, soft on the inside, lightly seasoned salmon fillets made in less than 10 minutes in an air fryer. No mess, no fuss, I don’t think I’ll ever cook salmon another way again!
Is Air Fryer Salmon any good?
YES. I was reluctant too. My head filled with images of dried out rubbery salmon. I fretted over whether to risk my lovely salmon fillets. Should I just bake them like I always do? Or pan sear them? But nope. My air fryer had been purchased and all that was left was to just go for it.
The salmon was perfect. Being cooked like this gives it a lovely crusty exterior, the kind I always have to broil in the oven for minutes at the end of cooking in order to achieve, and a soft and tender interior. Not overcooked at all! Better yet, no roasting pans to line with parchment paper, no skillets to scrub after cooking, no fishy smell in the air. So much less mess and effort!! I cannot emphasize enough how EASY it is to make salmon this way. If I never make anything else in that handy contraption again, it’ll still be worth it for these perfect salmon fillets.
By the way- I have made something else in the air fryer. So far, my count is up to two! These salmon fillets and these sweet potato fries which I actually made for the same meal and went perfectly together.
How do you cook salmon in an air fryer?
Preheat the fryer for a few minutes to make sure the temperature is adequate. Rub the salmon fillets with a little oil with a high smoke point. I used avocado oil here, but you can also use regular (not extra virgin) olive oil, vegetable oil, etc.
Season the salmon very simply with the seasoning of your choice. Salt and pepper is a must, anything else is fair game!
How long do you cook air fried salmon ?
Place the seasoned salmon fillets skin side down in the fryer basket, then start cooking. You could cook them anywhere between 7-9 minutes. I like a more well done salmon, so 9 minutes was perfect for me. Don’t be afraid to pull out the basket and check on the progress by flaking the salmon with a fork.
Can you reheat cooked salmon?
Yes. But do it with caution.
- Avoid the microwave, go for the oven instead.
- Reheat it slowly over low temperatures to avoid it drying out- think 135 C (275 F) for 15 minutes.
- Cover the salmon loosely with foil to keep it juicy.
Alternately, enjoy any leftover salmon cold! Flaked over a salad, or even heaped on some toast.
What side dishes to have with salmon?
I like me some starch, so I think this pairs perfectly with:
A simple side salad
and definitely with steamed veggies like broccoli, corn on the cob, etc., preferably with lots of garlic on them
This salmon would go PERFECTLY in this very popular salad recipe I have for salmon sesame soba noodle salad.
Air Fryer Salmon
- Air Fryer
- 2 salmon fillets, about 1 1/2 inch thick
- 2 teaspoon olive oil or avocado oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1-2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, optional
- lemon to taste
- parsley for garnish, optional
- Preheat air fryer to 200 C (390 F ).
- Pat salmon fillets dry with a paper towel, then rub each fillet with oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper generously, then sprinkle evenly with paprika and garlic powder if using.
- Place in the basket of the air fryer, skin side down, and cook for 8-9 minutes. Check salmon with a fork to make sure it's cooked to your liking, then remove from air fryer.
- Squeeze cooked salmon with lemon and sprinkle with parsley and enjoy!
If you like this recipe, you might like