Easy, creamy, full of flavor, this 5 minute greek feta dip will totally up your appetizer game. The garnishes pack so much impact, but are also customizable based on your preference.
I am a fan of the quick dip. Dip needs to be 1. Easy 2. Delicious and 3. Addictive. One of my favorite go to dips is my 3-ingredient Labneh dip that ticks all those boxes, but this has become a very close contender! Don’t limit yourself to using this as a dip, my kids LOVED this as a sandwich spread. They demanded creamy feta sandwiches for their lunchbox the next day and it was one of the few times they ate every bite of their sandwiches.
What do you need to make Greek feta dip?
Good quality feta cheese- this is the body of the dip
Sour Cream or Greek Yogurt- to add creaminess and mellow the brininess of feta cheese
Olive Oil to emulsify the mix
Black pepper for seasoning
Lemon zest for brightness
and that’s all!
Health benefits of feta cheese:
This is a much healthier dip than many more indulgent ones out there. Feta cheese is a great source of calcium and protein. It’s also a lower source of fat and calories than other cheeses such as cheddar cheese.
Feta cheese also has gut friendly probiotics that help with digestion.
How to make the best Greek feta dip:
You simply blend together the feta cheese and sour cream/Greek yogurt until creamy and fluffy. Drizzle in the olive oil while mixer is running and continue to blend until combined. Then, add the black pepper and lemon zest and mix until combined.
How to make sure the feta dip is creamy:
Keep mixing! Just keep going until the texture is where you need it to be. Make sure you properly drained the feta of excess water before using.
What to top feta dip with?
My favorite part of this dip is the garnishes. They add so much flavor and texture. I added chopped pistachio nuts, red chili flakes for heat, a drizzle of additional olive oil, some fresh thyme, and garlic chips.
How to make garlic chips:
It’s very simple. Just thinly slice 5-6 garlic cloves, and fry them in 2 tbsp of olive oil that you’ve heated in a medium skillet over medium heat. They’ll need to fry for 1-2 minutes on each side, until golden brown and crispy. Watch carefully to ensure the garlic doesn’t burn, or it’ll become bitter and inedible. Drain the garlic of the oil, and pat dry with paper towels to remove excess oil.
Can I use a different type of cheese:
No! This is all about the sharp, tangy feta flavor
Can I omit the garlic chips?
Yes, but I’d recommend instead adding one crushed garlic clove to the body of the dip while mixing.
Can I top this with different things?
Of course! Go wild. Zaatar would be amazing, and other fresh herbs would work beautifully.
Can this be prepared in advance?
You can prepare the greek feta dip up to three days in advance, but I would wait to garnish until last minute. Dip will store tightly covered in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Feta Cheese Dip
- 200 g feta cheese, drained 8 oz
- 1/2 cup sour cream or greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- pinch black pepper
- salt to taste if necessary
For the garlic chips:
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 5-6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- drizzle olive oil
- pinch red chili flakes
- 1-2 tsp garlic chips
- 2 tsp chopped pistachios
- pinch fresh herbs, like thyme if desired
- In the bowl of a blender or food processor, add the feta cheese and sour cream/yogurt. Blend on medium speed continuously until mixture is creamy and lump free (about 1 minute).
- Drizzle in olive oil while blender is still running, until combined. Add the lemon zest and black pepper and pulse to mix. Taste, and if you need it, add salt.
- Transfer the dip to the small bowl you'll serve it in. Make your garlic chips if using (see notes below)
For the garlic chips (optional) and garnish:
- Heat the olive oil in a small skillet over medium heat until hot. Add sliced garlic and fry on each side for 1-2 minutets until golden brown, then immediately drain the oil and place garlic on a paper towel to remove excess oil. Let garlic chips cool.
- Just before serving, top the dip with a drizzle of olive oil, a pinch of red chili flakes, garlic chips, and chopped pistachios.
If you liked this recipe, you might like: