The perfect combination of poached and fried eggs, froached eggs give you fluffy eggs with a soft yolk that are crispy on the outside edges. Truly a delicious combination! Made so easy with a sous vide machine.
What exactly are froached eggs?
It’s a word play that combines fried and poached. The idea is that poached eggs gives you the perfect bundle of sorts of soft whites and creamy yolks, but you miss out on that crisp texture of fried eggs.
Let me tell you, this is the perfect combination. This gives you crispy egg whites and a runny yolk.
The idea is executed so easily. Big thanks to Guga from Sous Vide Everything for the inspiration.
Why use a sous vide to make eggs?
It eliminates the guess work, and offers the ease of cooking the eggs directly in their shell. It’s so simple and gives perfectly consistent results.
How to make froached eggs:
First step is the poaching of the eggs, that will be done with the sous vide.
Once the cook time is over, I recommend immediately placing the whole eggs (in the shell) in a bowl full of ice water to stop any further cooking.
Heat a skillet over medium high heat. Lightly oil the skillet and crack the poached eggs into the skillet. You crack them like you would a raw egg, but instead a lightly poached eggs pops right out.
Season the top surface of the egg with some salt, pepper and bread crumbs if you like. You can use plain breadcrumbs or seasoned. Fry for up to a minute until golden brown underneath, then flip the egg over, repeat the seasoning process and cook until the other side turns golden brown.
What to serve froached eggs with:
I like using these to top toast circles with. I cut out circles of bread (simply with a water glass). This gives a good egg/bread ration for a single froached egg .
You can instead toast a regular slice of bread and top with two froached eggs.
Serve this with whatever you like your eggs with! Bacon, home fries, a simple green salad, fruit salad. Anything you like!
- Anova Sous Vide Machine
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs, seasoned or plain optional
- bread of choice
- slices of cheese, optional
- Place the eggs in a pot of water, and use your Sous Vide machine to cook them at 167 F for 11 minutes.
- Immediately after cooking, place in an ice bath to keep the yolks soft.
- Lightly grease a skillet with olive oil on medium high heat, crack the eggs onto the skilet, sprinkle with salt and pepper,and sprinkle on breadcrumbs. Fry on either side for about one minute or until golden brown.
- Serve plain, or on toast. I like having a slice of cheddar cheese under these.