Chocolate craving sneaking up on you? Back away from that brownie. Don’t even think about that candy bar. Have I got the perfect recipe for you! This chocolate avocado smoothie bowl will fulfill every craving you have with zero guilt. Trust me on this!
Next level smoothie
You know how when you’re younger those Jello pudding cups are the real deal? I used to love the Oreo ones, the dark chocolate layered with that white creamy pudding in the middle. My parents would let me get them maybe twice a year because they were super strict about packaged junk food. Middle Eastern dessert, sure, anytime, but any of that supermarket crap was always vetoed. I used to complain about this all the time as a kid but now I’m exactly the same as a mother. What goes around comes around, eh? My 4 year old comes back from school without fail complaining that her lunchbox doesn’t have ANY GOOD JUNK FOOD. She finds this incredibly offensive, and spends her day yearning for the Oreo’s, candy bars, chips and candy that some of her classmates get. I try to explain to her that I send her good healthy food to make her strong and smart. This buys me some leeway before her next wave of lunchbox depression.
I found myself having to get creative, so my kids eat stuff that’s good for them without feeling like they’re missing out. I have a notorious sweet tooth myself and love the occasional cookie or brownie. On normal days, I do try to keep things a little cleaner. My daughter is an expert at sniffing out if I’ve healthified a recipe by using oat flour instead of regular for example, and she will not stand for it. That’s why if Layla approves, then I know it’s a really good recipe that doesn’t taste “healthy” at all.
Chocolate Pudding 2.0
This is just too good. Creamy, intensely chocolatey and absolutely luscious. Made with raw cacao powder (or normal if you don’t have that lying around) this is like eating a chocolate truffle in a bowl. The best part is that it’s super easy to make this and it’s made with zero refined sugar-sweetened with dates! You’ll feel like you’re eating dessert at breakfast and it’s a complete energy booster. And don’t be deterred by the avocado- they just add this creamy luxuriousness to the smoothie bowls without any extra flavor. Thanks to Emilie for her recipe, I made it exactly as she did and it turned out like a charm.
Chocolate Avocado Smoothie Bowl
- 3 dates, pitted
- 1 medium banana sliced and frozen preferred
- 1/2 avocado, cut into chunks
- 1/2-1 cup almond milk, unsweetened
- 2 tablespoon raw cacao or cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- tiny pinch of salt
- Soak the dates in hot water for 10 minutes to make them easy to blend. Drain.
- In a food processor or blender, combine the drained dates, the banana slices, avocado chunks, 1/2 cup milk, cocoa powder, vanilla and salt until creamy and smooth. If you like the texture thinner, continue adding more milk until desired consistency..
- Top with whatever you like and enjoy immediately! I used banana, shredded coconut, cacao nibs, granola, blueberries and blackberries.