Caramelized banana oatmeal is a game changer. I know it’s healthy, a superfood, a righteous way to start off the day, but I was never the biggest fan of oatmeal. I’d find myself sprinkling it with lots of sugar or pouring honey on it to make it edible. All this changed once I learned how to be creative with toppings. This has been my go to combination for the past few months and it is my new obsession! Caramelizing bananas- the easy and healthy way- and topping oatmeal with those, creamy almond butter, dark chocolate right away so it melts and gets all gooey and delicious, pecans, and cacao nibs. If it still needs a little sweetness, the slightest drizzle of honey and you are good to go!
For another breakfast bowl that tastes like a dessert, don’t miss out on these chocolate avocado smoothie bowls. Trust me.
Caramelized Banana Oatmeal
- 1/2 cup rolled or old fashioned oats
- 1 cup almond milk or milk of choice
- Sprinkle cinnamon
- Sprinkle coconut sugar
- 1 banana, sliced
- coconut oil to coat the skillet
- Dark chocolate for topping
- Almond or peanut butter for topping
- Pecans for topping
- Cacao Nibs optional
- Prepare the oats by heating milk in a saucepan until it just boils, then sit run oats and reduce heat to a simmer.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5-10 minutes until they reach the texture desired.
- To make the caramelized bananas, heat the coconut oil in a skillet over medium high heat, then add in bananas and sprinkle with cinnamon and coconut sugar. Cook until golden brown on one side, then flip, repeat sprinkling of coconut sugar and cinnamon and cook on the other side until golden brown.
- Top oatmeal with the bananas, chocolate chips, almond butter, pecans, cacao nibs or any other ingredients of your choice!