I get into salad ruts. There was the glorious summer of the strawberry halloumi salad, the days of the chicken avocado, and now my friends, it is the winter of the roasted beetroot salad. Roasted beetroot is obviously the star, but every other aspect compliments them so well. Peppery green arugula, feta cheese, toasted pecans, and either dates or pomegranate seeds or even better both. I usually pair it with a honey balsamic vinaigrette, but I tried substituting maple syrup once and I was sold. The flavor pairs so nicely with the earthy beetroot and the toasted pecans. I hope you try this beetroot arugula salad and it becomes a no go to! If nothing else, definitely try this maple balsamic dressing for the perfect mix of tangy and sweet.
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp maple syrup (or honey)
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp salt
- pinch black pepper
- 1 beetroot roasted lightly coat with olive oil and bake 220 C or 450 F for 45min-1 hour)
- 1 container arugula
- 1/3 cup chopped toasted pecans toast by placing whole pecans on a baking sheet and baking at 180 C (350 F) for 5-7 min until fragrant, Remove from baking sheet immediately, cool then chop.
- 100 g feta cheese
- 6-8 dates, quartered
- handful pomegranate seeds optional
- Make dressing by whisking together the olive oil, vinegar, maple syrup, mustard salt and pepper.
- Arrange washed and dried arugula leaves in serving bowl. Top with chunks of roasted beetroot, dates, feta cheese you crumble in your hands, pecans, and pomegranate seeds (if using).
- Immediately before serving, add dressing and toss to combine.