This is an incredibly simple and moist, no mixer needed, 5 minutes of effort chocolate bundt cake. The taste defies how minimal your efforts are. Fudgy, somehow both dense and soft with molten pockets of chocolate. It is a guaranteed hit, and it starts with quite a big cheat- cake mix!
I don’t usually like using cake mix because it’s much more rewarding to make a cake from scratch, but I can’t argue with a recipe that’s received accolades from every reviewer that’s tried it on allrecipes.com , where I got this recipe from. One of the first cakes I’ve ever made when I started baking, it’s simple, moist and chocolatey. It’s also more than that. It’s delicious! If you’d like a moist chocolate cake made from scratch, be sure to check out this recipe here.
The chocolate bundt cake base:
It can’t get much simpler. Chocolate cake mix, sour cream, pudding mix, vegetable oil, eggs, and hot water. The moistness of the cake comes from a few factors. Using oil, adding sour cream, and the pudding that gets incorporated in the cake to produce a velvety texture. Trust me when I say, this is probably as moist as you can get!
Baking the cake:
You bake this in a bundt cake pan until a toothpick comes out clean, but with just a few crumbs attached is fine, it’ll just up the gooey factor. My mom has made this into cupcakes before which turned out delicious, but I love the simplicity of a bundt.
Serving your chocolate bundt cake:
You can top this with the simple chocolate glaze recipe that’s provided, which I recommend if you are taking this to people or serving this to guests. It elevates the cake and makes it look really pretty. It’s also easier to garnish because your mini chocolate chips or sprinkles will stick to the glaze when it’s still wet (But not too warm, or the chips will melt). I’ve also made this multiple times without any glaze, and just dusted some icing sugar on the top. It’s certainly rich enough to eat unadorned.
Drink something with this, an ice cold glass of milk or a strong cup of black coffee to cut the sweetness. This is a great make ahead dessert because it stays moist when well covered for days.
Unbelievably Moist Chocolate Bundt Cake
For the chocolate cake:
- 1 box dark chocolate cake mix
- 1 package instant chocolate pudding mix (5.9 oz)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
For the chocolate glaze: (optional)
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the chocolate cake:
- Preheat the oven to 180 C (350 F). Grease and flour a 12 cup bundt cake pan.
- In a large bowl, stir together cake mix, pudding mix, sour cream, vegetable oil, eggs and water until well combined.
- Stir in the chocolate chips, then transfer batter to prepared pan.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes until cake top is springy to touch, and toothpick comes out clean (or mostly clean, the chocolate chips might show melted chocolate on the toothpick)
- Cool in pan for at least one hour, then invert onto serving plate and top with the chocolate glaze or sprinkle some icing sugar on top.
For the chocolate glaze:
- In a double boiler (a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water), melt together the chocolate, butter, and corn syrup, stirring until completely combined. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- Spread the warm glaze on top of the cooled cake, and if you want to top with chocolate chips or sprinkles do it before the glaze sets.
Did you make this?Tag @everylittlecrumb and hashtag it #everylittlecrumb and I’ll share my favorites!