Pumpkin Sweet Potato Curry
Healthy and hearty, packed with flavor and warm spices. This curry is gluten free, vegan and absolutely delicious.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time40 mins
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1 inch sized ginger piece, minced
- 1.5 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 medium carrots, chopped into small cubes
- 1 sweet potato, chopped into small cubes
- 2-3 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 can pumpkin puree 15 oz, 400 g
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed 15 oz, 400 g
- 1 can coconut milk 13.5 oz, 380 g
- 1 1/4 cup water or vegetable broth
- 1 heaped tsp coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 big handfuls baby spinach leaves
- 1 lime or lemon juiced
In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Once hot, add the onions and cook for 3-4 minutes until softened and translucent. Add the minced garlic, ginger, spices including cumin seeds and sauté for two more minutes.
Stir in the carrots, sweet potato, tomatoes, pumpkin puree, chickpeas, coconut milk, coconut sugar, salt and water or broth and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
Cook for 20-30 minutes until sweet potatoes and carrots are tender. Turn off heat and add in spinach, and stir till it wilts. Add the juice of the lime or lemon.
Serve with fluffy basmati rice, or to go above and beyond, homemade naan. Enjoy!